Friday, January 31, 2014

Loving One Another



“Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other.”  John 13:35

The other day I was cleaning out my sideboard cupboard and I came across an encouraging note, which a dear friend had given me several years ago.   I found it a bit difficult to read the short note, not because of his hand writing but because I had tears in my eyes thinking of my friend who has since passed away.  

I’m sure, when my friend wrote the note, he had no idea how special it would become to me.  I honestly can’t remember what was going on in my life when he decided to encourage me this way, but the way my friend loved me, will be etched in my memories forever.

Maya Angelou is quoted as saying “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
 
This encouraging note from my friend was a demonstration of how to love another.  I truly believe, when the world sees our love for each other, there is no force on earth that will keep them from beating a path to our door.  Loving each other may not seem like active evangelism but I reckon it shouts the love of Jesus louder than anything we say or do in our outreach programs.

I can think of a few other ways to show love for each other: spending time together, shared meals, lending a hand when needed, phone calls etc.   Can you think of other ways?

No comments:

Post a Comment