Friday, September 20, 2013

Act from love, not from fear.



“Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you. In the same way that a branch can’t bear grapes by itself but only by being joined to the vine, you can’t bear fruit unless you are joined with me” John 15:4TM

The sign outside the Church at Medowie reads “ACT FROM LOVE, NOT FROM FEAR”

It's only six words, but to me this sign means "Act from a place of love for others, for oneself and for God".  

I reckon the place we stand is as important as what we do.  If we remain in Jesus, our acts are from a place of love, and that love will produce an abundance of lasting tasty fruit.  However, if we are concerned that others won’t like us if we don’t behave the way they expect, then we are acting out of fear.  Acting out of fear can be exhausting over a period of time, as we are always second guessing every word and/or action.  

When we act from a place of love, the results can be eternal and widespread for the Kingdom of God, whereas acting from fear may not last longer than the act itself.  

This is what St Francis’ six word sign says to me…what does it mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment