Friday, August 30, 2013

The joy of the Lord is our Strength



“The joy of the Lord is our Strength” Psalm 81:1

This past week I was reading about Paul and Silas who had been severely flogged and thrown into jail (Acts 16:23-26). Even though they were in pain, they still loudly and joyfully praised God.  At midnight they were praying and singing hymns when an earthquake occurred, their chains broke apart and the locked doors flew open.

I was thinking about how physically weak, tired and scared Paul and Silas must have felt sitting in the darkness.  I’d read somewhere that the hymns they sang were most probably psalms put to music.   

 I struggle to remember huge chunks of Scripture, but I find it’s much easier to remember psalms and Bible verses that have been set to music.   To my way of thinking, when we spend time focusing on God, singing His word back to Him in praise and worship, we may very well find the chains that have bound us broken, doors opened to us and in the darkest of nights we will have a light which will lead us closer to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment