Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Full Nests and Empty Nests


Today my son and his fiancée had a telephone call from the real estate agent.   Last week they inspected and applied for a flat and today they were notified that their application has been successful.   The news is very exciting and I really am happy for them, but at the same time, its has finally hit me that my last baby bird is about to fly the nest.  I knew this was going to happen soon because he is marrying his sweetheart in less than two months time but reality has hit home.

Today I was walking and I noticed all the magpies around.  It wont be long until these black and white birds are nesting and then as they do their best to protect their nests, they swoop at animals and people passing by.  When they swoop, they start of flapping their wings but the worst part is when the wings fall silent and you hear them clacking their beaks as they get closer to you.  Can you tell I have a fear of being attacked  by a magpie?  Hehehehe



The swooping season for magpies isn't really long...only a couple of months and they are only doing it to protect their nests, eggs and young.  Before long, the baby magpies will leave their nests and the mother birds prepare for the next season of their lives.  I wonder if they get a bit sad about their babies leaving or its just part of nature?    

The writer of Ecclesiastes 3:1 says there is a time for every purpose under heaven.   When  baby birds grow up enough to fly the nest, its always the right time.  I really do believe that my baby bird flying the nest is at the right time too.   God has also made some promises and one is in Jeremiah 39:11 where He says "for I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  So in the midst of my mother bird sadness, I realise this is merely the stepping stone next stage in my life as well.   I know God has more for my life than looking at my empty nest and I know he will show me his plans when the time is right and when my mind is in the right place to receive them.

It seems Mother Magpie and I have more in common than at first glance.  However, I hope that I don't swoop and clack at any passers by.  However, if I do, please forgive me as I am just in transition from a full nest to an empty one.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment