Saturday, August 9, 2014

Loving God

    Jesus said, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.’  Matthew 22:37 (MSG)
I have often thought that if I only spoke with my husband once a week, if our conversations were one sided and I didn't listen to him, if everything I said to him was written by someone else and if I didn't put any extra effort into spending time with him, would that make him happy?  Would we have a relationship or would I just be his wife in name only? 

That's about my relationship with my husband...but what about Jesus?  Several times in scripture, the church is referenced as the Bride of Christ, so have you ever wondered what loving God and being the Bride of Christ really means practically?  Or have you thought that its a nice idea in theory, but in real life the hour we spend in church each week should be enough to keep him happy?

This week, I am sharing a quote by author Francis Chan, which really speaks to me about my part in maintaining my relationship with God.

    “When you are truly in love, you go to great lengths to be with the one you love. You’ll drive for hours to be together, even if it’s only for a short while. You don’t mind staying up late to talk. Walking in the rain is romantic, not annoying. You’ll willingly spend a small fortune on the one you’re crazy about. When you are apart from each other, it’s painful, even miserable. He or she is all you think about; you jump at any chance to be together. We need to be like this with God.”

May our ears be ready to hear God's voice, may our hearts be open to his heart, and may we fall in love with Jesus a little more every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment