Monday, April 7, 2014

God's Kneads his Church



In response to all he has done for us, let us outdo each other in being helpful and kind to each other and in doing good.  Let us not neglect our church meetings, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of his coming back again is drawing near.  Hebrews 10:24,25

The other morning I was in the kitchen kneading pizza dough.  I reckon if I was pizza dough, I wouldn’t like to be kneaded because it would hurt. But then again, the kneading would make me a better pizza, which is the point of the exercise, I guess.  

 It occurred to me that a cook can take a few ordinary ingredients and turn their finished dish into something delicious.   For the record, my dough was made of flour, water, yeast, sugar, salt, and oil, and according to my husband, my pizza base is scrumptious. However, if I had left out just one of those ingredients, the dough would have turned out flavourless and according to my husband ‘a bit of a failure’. 

I reckon God looks at his church the way a cook looks at his or her dough.  He takes ordinary people and kneads us together, even if that kneading makes us uncomfortable and at times we can feel hurt.  This kneading teaches us grace and love and patience towards one another. And it’s through this process of gaining grace, love and patience, we, the church, becomes a powerful world changer.  But at the same time, if just one of those seemingly ordinary people are missing, the church can turn out somewhat flavourless.  

In my opinion, each and every person, no matter how ordinary or minute they feel, are a valuable ingredient in making a powerful world changing church.   Each and every person is necessary to God’s flavourful church. 

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment